Adults and Teenagers
Learn database modelling, design and development through extending our "Top Trumps" card game created in part 1.
Anatomy of a database
We will take a look at an existing database to understand the main components and design.
Create a model of our data.
Analyse the different approaches to building the database.
Build the database and populate it with data
Integrate with our application
Use the database in our Python program. Write SQL to query and update our database.
Good practice programming techniques
Debugging, error handling, commenting, refactoring, source control, data modelling techniques
Full price individual: £160
Concession individual: £120
Concession pricing is available to anyone in full time education.
Skills you should have before you attend
You should have some basic Python programming experience. Ideally you should have attended Part 1 of this course, but this is not necessary if you already know Python and just want to learn about database programming.
What courses can I do before ?
To prepare for this course you can attend the following courses:Introduction to Programming: Build Applications with Python
Programming Project: Part 1 - Python Programming
Skills you will pick up in the course
Key skill categories
- Python programming
- Database development
- Data modelling
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to
- Analyse data requirements of an application.
- Design a data model for a new requirement.
- Use SQL to query and update data in the database.
- Apply iterative development techniques to build up a complex application in simple steps.
- Apply debugging techniques to correct program errors.
- Demonstrate good programming disciplines such as commenting, exception handling, refactoring and source conrtol in their coding.
- Breakdown complex computational problems into manageable tasks.